adapted from & inspired by Food Heaven Made Easy, check out their recipe & site
- 1-15 oz can of black beans
- 1-15 oz can of kidney beans
- 2/3 cup of pasta sauce
- 1-15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1 okra
- Handful of mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- stalk of broccoli
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 table spoon of oregano
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons of (Packet) of chilli powder
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 plum tomato (diced)
If you want spicy:
- 1/2-1 habanero pepper
- 3-5 long slim cayenne pepper
- cayenne pepper powder
- crushed red pepper seeds
- Dice the zucchini, bell pepper, onion,mushrooms, carrots & okra (and any other veggies you want to add) Heat a pan, add oil & crush garlic then sautee veggies for 3-6 minutes while adding the cumin & oregano. Stir often (You want the veggies to be very crisp because they will continue cooking later on.)
- In a large pot add the black & kidney beans, diced tomato -fresh & canned, pasta sauce. Add sauteed veggies. Add chilli powder & rosemary & bay leaves. Bring it to boil. Then let it simmer for 35-45 minutes. (If necessary add water to mixture.)
- Cut broccoli & add it with 15-20 minutes left so it won’t get too soft.
- Add salt at the end after you taste && thinks it might need some.
FOR SPICIER CHILLI:
- Dice the habanero and slim cayenne pepper, remember the pepper seeds are the hottest not the pepper flesh itself. I added most of the pepper seeds. I used a half of habanero & 3 slim peppers in my chilli.
- Add habanero and slim cayenne peppers after you add the sauteed veggies to the beans and pasta mixture. Stir. Add powdered cayenne pepper & crushed red pepper. stir. I added a little more chilli powder also.
- Then cover & simmer.
If you see in the photos, there was a little pot of chilli it was for my mom, she can’t eat spicy food so I set aside her portion & she likes her veggies super crunchy so I added more veggies to hers later in the process. The spicy peppers came from my garden. I guess they sell them at the store, they definitely sell spicy chilli powder, I had original powder. Also the rosemary and plum tomato was from my garden too 😀
This was for my family, 5 of us. They liked it, I put the chilli over brown rice and it was truly a satisfying meal. I added some shredded cheese on top. fancy. The tomato sauce was extra I added it to get more of a tomato-y feel and water it down. It worked well. Many of these ingredients are optional! Just decide what you want and add it!
Beans are high in fiber and protein- fyi
It was a delicious, healthy, easy meal! Thanks Jess!