I LOVE MAKING THESE! So I thought I’d share!
BANANA NUT MUFFINS
- 2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of applesauce
- 2-3 VERY ripe and mashed bananas
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ – ½ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
- ¼ cup of raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and egg until well combined. Then add in the applesauce, mashed bananas, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients ( flour mixture) to the wet ingredients and stir until the batter mixed well making sure there are no streaks of dry ingredients.
- Add the nuts and raisins in the batter if you want.
- Do not over mix by stirring too much.
- Either line your muffin pan with paper liners, or spray the holder with vegetable oil, (if you don’t have the liners…like me)
- Add an equal amount of batter into each muffin holder.
- Bake for 18-24 mins (depends on your oven. My muffins take about 22 mins max) Use a toothpick to test, insert into the center of a muffin or 2- if it comes out clean they’re done.
- Take muffins out of holder to cool.
` I use VERY VERY VERY ripe bananas which are super sweet which is why you really don’t need any sugar. I added a quarter of a cup but I might just nix the sugar next time I make them. Also, my mother froze my bananas by accident. So as they defrosted they made a water/syrup mixture. SO frickin sweet!
`The recipe called for brown sugar- I didn’t have it I just had some fructose from whole foods.
`Applesauce is (and can be used as) a replacement for the vegetable oil.
`I don’t drink dairy milk. I used almond milk.
`My sister likes nuts and doesn’t like raisins. My brother likes raisins and doesn’t like nuts…they are both optional to add to your mixture.
`USE pastry flour and not cooking flour!! It makes SUCH a big difference.
I eat these for breakfast with fruit and/or an egg or as a snack after dinner when I want something sweet. This satisfies my sweet tooth… especially if I put a little jelly on it. I have 6 in the fridge && 6 in the freezer to have later. I heat them up and poww.. yum. good stuff.